Monday, June 24, 2013

Shaikh Sadooq (ar) - A Brief Biography

Name: Abu Ja'far Muhammad ibn 'Ali ibn Babawaih al-Qummi
Born: End of 305 A.H. 923 A.D./306 A.H 924A.D. (There is no positive evidence as to his year of birth)
Martydom: 381 A.H. 991 A.D. (Buried at Ebn-e Babooyeh, Ray, Iran)
Kunniyat: Abu Jafar
Title: Sudooq (earned on account of His great learning and reputation for truthfulness)
Teachers: Ali ibne Hussain Qummi (Father), Ibrahim Burki, Mohammed ibne Hussain ibne Walid and other 150 scholars (listed by historians).
Disciple: Shaikh Mufeed a.r, Najashi a.r, Shaikh Qudoos a.r and Ibne Zaheri a.r.
Books: There are 300 books authored by Shaikh Sadooq but 220 books are available in the libraries of the world. Popular are “Mun laa yahdar al faqeeh”, “Madinat al Ilm”, “Ilal al Sharaeh”. The other smaller books authored by him are “Sawab al Aamaal”, Iqaab al Aamaal”, “Sifaat al Shia”, “Muaani al Akhbaar”etc
Introduction
Shaikh Sadooq was the leading traditionist of his time (4th Century A.H.). Whatever he heard once, never escaped his memory. The people of Qum used to be surprised at this faculty of his at childhood. His mentors used to be surprised at his prowess. Shaikh Sadooq was known to the people as Sadooq because of his implicit truthfulness. His truthfulness was complemented by his strong memory that he remembered every event verbatim and was able to recount it word for word! Thus he is rightly remembered with the title of Sadooq!! The Shaikh and his father together are remembered as Sadooqain---or the two truthful ones! If you find a mention in any book quoting Sadooq, it would mean that the reference is only to him. But if in another place the mention is of Sadooqain, the reference is both to the son and the father.

The book Kamaluddin Wa Tamaamun Ne’ma
Shayk Sadooq (ar) himself writes : That which motivated me to write this book was that when I was honored by the visit (Ziarat) of Imam Ali Ibne Musa ar-Reza (a.s.) I returned to Nishapur and stayed there. I realized that most of the Shia people who visited me were confused in the matter of occultation of the Twelfth Imam (a.s.) and doubts haunted them about His Eminence, the Qaim (a.s.). They had deviated from accepting the correct views and standards. So I began my endeavor to guide to truth and the right path with the help of traditional reports of the Holy Prophet (s.a.w.s.) and the Holy Imams (a.s.) till the time a learned and virtuous scholar from Bukhara came to visit us in Qom. I had always wanted to meet him due to his honesty, firm views and correctness of behavior. He was Shaykh Najmuddin Abu Saeed Muhammad bin al-Hasan bin Muhammad bin Ahmad bin Ali bin Salt Qummi, may Allah continue his Taufeeq (good sense). My father and I used to narrate traditions on the authority of his grandfather, Muhammad bin Ahmad bin Ali bin Salt (q.s.) and spoke well of his knowledge and actions, piety, excellence and worship. Ahmad bin Muhammad bin Isa with all his excellence and greatness used to narrate traditions from Abu Talib Abdullah Ibne Salt Qummi (r.a.) and Abdullah bib Salt remained here till he met Muhammad bin al-Hasan Saffar and related traditions from him. When the Almighty Allah enabled me to meet a gentleman of such an excellent family I thanked him for according me such a cordial reception and sincere audience. One day he told me about his meeting with a great philosopher and logician of Bukhara and he also related to me one of his statements about His Eminence, the Qaim (a.s.) which had put him in confusion, perplexity and doubts with regard to the Holy Imam (a.s.) due to the prolongation of his occultation and due to cutting off of news regarding him. Therefore, I explained to him some facts about His Eminence and quoted some traditions of the Holy Prophet (s.a.w.s.) and the Holy Imams (a.s.) in connection with the Imam (a.s.). As a result of which that person got assurance and the doubts and misgivings that had inflicted his mind were removed. He listened with full attention to all the authentic traditions that I related to him and accepted them from the depth of his heart. He petitioned me to write a book for him on this subject. I agreed to do so and promised him that when the Almighty Allah would facilitate my return to my hometown, Rayy, I will compile the relevant traditional reports on this topic.

One night, when I drifted into sleep after thinking about my family, friends and the bounties that the Almighty Allah had bestowed on me, I dreamt that I was performing the circumambulation of the Holy Kaaba in Mecca and in the seventh round I was near the Black Stone (Hajar Aswad), and upon reaching it I was kissing it. I was saying that I had repaid my trust and fulfilled my covenant so that it might be a witness of this. At that moment I had the honor of seeing my master, the Master of the Age (a.s.) standing at the door of the Kaaba. My heart began to beat fast with excitement and he came to know my inner feelings which were reflected in the worried expression on my face. I saluted him and he replied to my salutation and then asked me: Why don’t you write a book regarding the occultation, so that your sadness and worries are removed? I said: O son of Allah’s Messenger, I have compiled a number of books about occultation. He said: Not in this style. I order you to compile a book on occultation and therein mention about the occultation of the prophets (peace be on them). After that, the Imam (a.s.) departed from there. When I woke up, I began to weep, supplicate and express my humility till dawn break. In the morning, in compliance with the commands of the Proof of Allah, I began the compilation of this book. While I pray for the help of Allah and I rely on Him and seek forgiveness for my shortcomings. My Taufeeq is only from the Almighty Allah, I rely on Him and I turn to Him.”

No comments:

Post a Comment